Your doctor may prescribe methadone for the following conditions
- Severe pain from chronic illness, an injury, or surgery, or .
- For the treatment of dry cough.
- Treatment for addiction to other opioids.
How long does methadone stay in your system?
How long does methadone stay in your system depends on its dose, and its metabolism.
Many factors influence how long methadone stays in your system. Individual health factors such as age, weight, metabolism, liver function and other conditions, as well as duration of methadone use, frequency of administration, dosage and use All other substances influence the rate of methadone treatment. The clinical duration of methadone in your system is between 2 and 13 days. Methadone is an effective drug that remains active long after the loss of its analgesic effects.
The US Food and Drug Administration has found that relieving methadone pain can take four to eight hours, but it may take 8 to 59 hours to completely cleanse the body.
The half-life of methadone was 24 to 36 hours. We measure the disappearance of a medicine in the blood with a concept of “half-life”.
Half life is the time needed to reduce the amount of drugs in the blood by half. While methadone is typically processed out of your system within two weeks, The traces of the methadone may appear much longer depending on the type of test used. Employers, drug treatment programs, sports organizations and law enforcement agencies can request a methadone drug test.
While standard screening tests often detect the use of opioids such as heroin and morphine, they do not recognize the use of methadone. For this reason, if the screening test is to investigate the presence of methadone, specific and more expensive tests must be used. Urine, saliva, hair and blood tests have been developed to detect the presence of methadone in the system.
Here is How long does methadone stay in your system?
- Urine tests can detect methadone after 24 hours and up to 7 days.
- Saliva tests can detect methadone within 10 minutes of use and up to 10 days.
- Hair tests can detect methadone within 7 to 10 days after application and up to 90 days.
- Blood tests should be performed within 3 hours to reach the maximum dose, but can be detected as early as 3 hours after oral administration. Blood tests can detect methadone for up to 2.5 days.
Following are some of the symptoms of Overdose from this drug. These include
- Slowed breathing;
- Slowed heart rate.
- Muscle weakness;
- Clammy skin;
- Changes in the size of pupils
If you think you or someone has overdosed on methadone, get emergency help right away.
Factors that Influence How long does methadone stay in your system?
These factors include
- Patient’s metabolic rate,
- Genetics of Patient.
- Level of liver functioning,
- Kidney functions
- Height, and
- Food intake over the relevant time period.
To understand How long does methadone stay in your system you must know the half-life of methadone. It varies a lot as follows: 24 to 36 hours, 13 to 47 hours, 15 to 40 hours and 8 to 59 hours. Since the widest window is between 8 and 59 hours and covers all other possibilities, it is certainly considered the most accurate window. In days, a half-life of 8 to 59 hours means 1 to 13 days. In other words, a person can keep methadone in the body for 1-13 days.
You can also check out How long does adderall stay in your system ?